Alien Escape from Area 51 - Future Date TBD
Helpful LinksGET EMAIL UPDATES
A “Daytime ET”!
Running along the fringe of the mysterious Area 51, this stretch of highway (375) has an overwhelming number of reported UFO sightings. So much so, that in 1996 the federal government officially named highway 375 the “Extraterrestrial Highway”. The ET Highway has become a gathering place for UFO enthusiasts and nature lovers alike. With elevations ranging from roughly 4000-5600 feet, the high desert will enchant you with gorgeous vegetation, surrounding mountains, and stunning vistas.
Annually since 2007, Calico Racing has hosted the Extraterrestrial Full Moon Midnight race each August, closest to the full moon. Given the midnight start time, the ET Midnight race offers cool temperatures despite being August in Nevada. ET participants run under bright moonlit skies while counting shooting stars- it is truly magical! But yet- most have never actually SEEN the course!
Traditionally the ET course ends at the Little A’le’Inn. But in 2020 due to COVID-19 the course was changed to an out and back from the Black Mailbox. The course was a hit among runners, so it returns in this “Daytime ET” called Alien Escape from Area 51.
In stark contrast to the August race, Alien Escape is during the day (actually SEE the beautiful high desert serenity!) and during late fall- so expect COLD morning temperatures, perfect for running!
“COVID Born” Race: Calico Racing was the first organization to host a race in Southern Nevada amid COVID-19 with our 14th annual ET race on August 1, 2020. The permitting agency approved our COVID mitigation plan and we were extremely pleased with complete participant compliance! Since Alien Escape will be an exact (daytime) replica of the ET race we just hosted in August 2020, I feel very confident in our ability to race November 15, 2020!
COVID-19 Promise: As the COVID-19 global pandemic is still unfolding, Calico Racing’s promise to you:
- If we are forced to cancel or postpone the event, registrants will receive a 100% transfer of the net entry fee/ add-ons paid into ANY Calico Racing event, good for 1 year (USA), or 2 years (International), based on address on your registration. The entry fee of the race that you are transferring into will be determined by the pricing schedule for that event on the date you complete your registration into the new race. No refund of any difference, if applicable, will be issued.
- Alternatively, you may switch to the virtual race, in lieu of the deferral in #1 above, if you choose.
- We will continue to keep you informed as information becomes available and decisions are made.
- Once we are finally able to race, we will continue to provide you with a clean and safe environment to race; and will implement additional measures to ensure the health and safety of our community as necessary.
- You can review our complete policies HERE.
**The FINAL DETAILS document will be posted during race week and will be the most updated information concerning the race set up. This document may be altered up to race day, so please be sure to check it on race day for any updates.
Thru Sep 13
Sep 14-Oct 18
Oct 19-Nov 7
Nov 8-Nov 12 @ 12 p.m.
|Pre Reg Only||Pre Reg Only||Pre Reg Only||Pre Reg Only||Pre Reg Only||N/A|
Live In Person race includes technical shirt, finishers' medal, bib number, aid stations, on site EMS, finish line food, event timing, award eligibility, and COVID sensitive precautions.
*Virtual race includes technical shirt, finishers' medal, bib number, and USA Shipping. Join us anywhere (in or OUT of this world!), any time, and run any distance! Shipments will be sent between November 16- 21, 2020. If you register for the virtual race and later decide you would like to join instead for the in person event, you can upgrade your entry. (International shipping available for an additional fee.). Virtual runners are not required to report their time to race organizers, but are encouraged to post about their Alien Escape run on social media and tag Calico Racing!
REIGN Body Fuel will be at the finish line for all participants!
Back to Top
Alien Escape runs along the Extraterrestrial Highway along the fringes of mysterious Area 51! This is ~2 hours drive north of Las Vegas, NV. Check out our contracted bus option for the easiest travel!
ALL distances start and finish at the Black Mailbox and are true out and back courses, heading west toward Rachel.
5K= 1.55 mile out and back; 10K= 3.1 miles out and back; 1/2 Marathon= 6.55 miles out and back; Marathon= 13.1 mile out and back; 51K= 15.81 miles out and back.
**The above course set up was made for the following reasons:
- The common start/ finish line for all races eliminates the need to ride the bus to return to your cars. You can now drive and park right at the start/ finish line for all distances.
- The contracted bus is still available for purchase and will take you to/ from the start/ finish line. The bus will be sanitized in between use, and will have less contacts, as it will only be used by those purchasing the bus ticket.
- For those driving, when you complete your race, you can leave as quickly as you wish vs. waiting for the bus, reducing gathering numbers.
- Reduced gear bag contacts/ commingling. You are encouraged to keep your gear bag in your car. For those on the contracted bus, you will place your gear bag directly on the tarp (only for bus riders). Ample space will be provided to separate bags. No volunteer contact of the bags.
- Chip timing start/ finish for all distances. This will allow us to further break down starting groups into smaller sizes as needed, and will be determined closer to race day in cooperation of guidelines as of race date.
- Overall, it gives organizers the flexibility to adapt more easily to an ever changing protocol, keep runners, volunteers, and staff safe, and provide participants the ability to run the event without the requirement of the bus.
- A VIRTUAL RACE has been added for those who would like to "join us" without attending in person.
- For those driving from Las Vegas, this reduces your travel distance by 40 miles vs going all the way to the Little A'le'Inn in Rachel, NV.
- The 5K, 10K, and 1/2 Marathon get to run a section of course they usually don't run in the usual ET course.
- The 1/2 Marathon course is expected to be faster than the usual ET course!
* All runners MUST exercise extreme caution as this highway is open range- meaning cows and other animals may be on the roadway! You may not provoke or approach these animals. Mind your own business and they should leave you alone.
** Calico Racing reserves the right to make any necessary course changes required per the permitting body and is subject to final permit approval.
Back to Top
AID STATIONS: 2020 "Covid plan"
Conduct and etiquette through the aid stations is as follows:
- All runners must carry a water bottle or hydration system.
- Please raise you mask over your nose and mouth while at the aid stations.
- Maintain physical distance from others.
- YOU, the RUNNER, will open the top of your water bottle (wide opening is best) and hold your bottle (or hydration bladder) open at arm’s length for the volunteer to fill from the water pitcher.
- Volunteers will NOT take possession of your bottle or belongings.
- Please do not place your belongings/ bottle tops, etc on the tables.
- Hammer HEED electrolyte drink will be available in spaced out cups on the table. You can grab a cup (no volunteer hand ups) being mindful to only touch what you take.
- Hammer Gel will be available at all aid stations spaced out on the table. Only one flavor per station is available to minimize unnecessary touching. You can grab a gel (no volunteer hand ups) being mindful to only touch what you take.
- Dispose of trash directly into the trash can.
AID STATION locations are noted below:
MARATHON: Mile 3.1; 6.55, 10, 13.0, 16.2, 19.65; 23.1. Hammer Gel and Toilet at all aid stations.
1/2 MARATHON: Mile 3.1; 6.55; 10. Hammer Gel and Toilet at all aid stations.
10K: Mile 3.1 (toilet)
5K: NO AID
51K: Mile 3.1; 6.55; 10; 13.0; 15.81 (gel, no toilet); 18.62; 21.62; 25.07; and 28.52. Hammer Gel and Toilet at all aid stations except as noted.
*ALL aid station will have water and Hammer HEED energy drink (either lemon/ lime, mandarin orange, melon, or berry flavor).
Calico Racing reserves the right to make slight adjustments to aid station locations/ protocols as they see appropriate.
Back to Top
Schedule and Packet Pickup
SCHEDULE ~ Will be updated for next year's event
*Packet Pick Up* At the start line on race morning only.
Sunday November 15, 2020:
- 5:15am- 5:30am: Buses load at the Silver Sevens Casino; 4100 Paradise Road, Las Vegas, NV 89169, on the south side of the parking lot (click for map)
- 5:30am: Bus departure time is 5:30am. Parking for the bus is at the Silver Sevens Hotel and Casino (4100 Paradise Rd, Las Vegas, NV 89169) regardless of overnight stay. You may use the surface parking or parking garage.
- 6:18am: Sunrise
- 7:45am: Runners driving themselves to the start/ finish line may begin to arrive. No earlier please!
- 7:45am- 9:45am: Packet Pick Up at the start line at the Black Mailbox
- ~8am: Contracted buses from Las Vegas should arrive
- 8:30am: 51K & Marathon Start
- 9am: 1/2 Marathon Start
- 9:30am: 10K start
- 9:45am: 5K start
- Finish line food will be provided
- Awards will be handed out at the finish line as runners finish.
- Contracted Bus back to Las Vegas for those who purchased a ticket; various departures
- 4:30pm: Race Cut Off
- 4:32pm: Sunset
*Please note that slight changes may be made to the start times of each race distance based in accordance with Governor's guidelines as of race day. We may use small group starts, or a rolling time trial start. This will be determined closer to race day as final participant numbers and distribution are finalized, as well as statewide mandates as of race day.
Back to Top
PARKING FOR THE CONTRACTED BUS IN LAS VEGAS: Is at the Silver 7s Hotel and Casino (regardless of overnight stay) located at 4100 Paradise Road/ Las Vegas, NV 89169. You may use the surface parking or parking garage. Buses will load at the Silver Sevens on the south side of their surface parking lot.
DRIVING: For those of you driving yourselves to the race, all distances will park at the Black Mailbox; at Extraterrestrial Highway (375) milepost ~30. This is the start/ finish of all races. Please follow the volunteers' instructions on site.
Back to Top
Las Vegas' Harry Reid International Airport (LAS) services the Greater Las Vegas area. It is serviced by numerous carriers and has on site car rental companies.
The Las Vegas McCarran Airport is located within 10 minutes of "The Strip" and approximately 2.25 hours to the Black Mailbox (start/ finish line).
Back to Top
Spectators should consider the following:
- Covid considerations: If Nevada is still under gathering limitations, we kindly ask your spectators to stay home. If present, they will be subjected to the same mask requirements, as of event date, as the runners which will be detailed in the "Final Details" posted to the website during race week.
- Spectator Breakfast can be purchased for $10. This must be pre-purchased and can be purchased during registration with your race entry. Spectator Breakfast includes access to race provided food and drinks while you are running and/ or together with you when you finish.
- Spectators should come prepared to be self sufficient with food and water if they do not purchase the Spectator Breakfast ticket.
- The Black Mailbox is very primitive and no shelter. It will be cold, so dress appropriately, and consider bringing a folding chair.
- VOLUNTEER: As you would imagine, getting volunteers for this race in the middle of no where is very challenging! If your spectator(s) is willing to volunteer a few hours while you are running, it would be greatly appreciated! Shifts vary in length, hours, and duties, and I will absolutely ensure they are able to see you at the finish line and maybe even on course if at an aid station. Spectators earn volunteer credit to use toward their own future participation in a Calico Racing event. As well I can offer the bus/ breakfast complimentary for spectator/ volunteers based on hours committed. If interested, please EMAIL me including the following details: Race distance of your runner; anticipated finish time; driving or taking the bus. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spectators must keep their on course driving to an absolute minimum. It is a sparsely traveled road and we would like to keep it that way on race day for everyone's safety.
Back to Top
* All finishers get medals
** Awards will be something inspired by nature and/or the surrounding area and the theme of the race.
Overall Male and Female winners for each event (51K, marathon, 1/2, 10K, and 5K) go 3 deep. Overall winners will be taken out of the running for age group awards.
Age group Male and Female winners for each event (51K, marathon, 1/2, 10K, and 5K) goes to first place only. 10 year age groups as follows: under 20; 20-29; 30-39; 40-49; 50-59; 60-69; 70+
Costume: Award will go to the best Alien inspired costume for the entire event.
NOTE: Overall and Age Group awards are determined based off of GUN TIME. **Calico Racing reserves the right to change this to CHIP TIME if we are still under COVID related gathering limitations and need to use a time trial start format. Details will be determined and announced in the "FINAL DETAILS" document which will be posted to the website during race week.
NOTE: Awards will be handed out at the finish line very shortly after runners start finishing, and will continue as award winners come in. Please listen for your name to be called if you think you may have placed. Awards not collected on site will be subject to a shipping charge if they are requested to be mailed (USA only) no later than 1 week after the race. Payment of $15 per award is to be made via Paypal account: email@example.com with your shipping address and award in the memo. *Please read the above award categories to ensure you are eligible for an award*
Back to Top
Located 2- 2.5 hours north of Las Vegas, the Extraterrestrial Highway is a 98 mile stretch of highway from Rt. 93 to Rt. 6. The town of Rachel is 40 miles west from the junction of Rt. 93 and 375, and is the hub of the ET Highway. The main attraction in Rachel is the "Little A'le'Inn" restaurant and motel, which is 20 miles from the Black Mailbox (the race's start/ finish).
Nearby the ET Highway is the Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge which encompasses Upper Lake, Middle Pond, and Lower Lake which are home to and habitat for a variety of birds. Pintail, teal, mallard, and redhead ducks; great blue herons, egrets, red-tail hawks, marsh hawks, orioles, and many others call this refuge home. The upland desert houses Gambel's quail, roadrunners, sparrow, kit fox and a few coyotes. Camping sites are available.
Of course all of this can be accessed using Las Vegas, NV as a base.
For more information check out:
Back to Top
Silver Sevens Hotel and Casino and Calico Racing are proud to offer host hotel accommodations for the 2020 event! Silver Sevens is the location of the contracted bus pick up/ drop off. Silver Sevens is located at 4100 Paradise Road, Las Vegas, NV 89169 and is conveniently situated within 1 mile of the famous Las Vegas Strip, and minutes from the airport. The Silver Sevens offers free shuttle service to/ from McCarran Airport (LAS). Visit their FAQ on their website: http://www.silversevenscasino.com/
A group block of rooms has been negotiated for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights (Nov 13- 16). Rates are: Friday ($29.99 ++), Saturday ($44.99 ++), and Sunday ($19.99 ++) for a deluxe room. Premium Tower Rooms available for an additional $5 per night.
++ Rates are additionally subject to $32 required daily resort fee and 13.38% tax, up to double occupancy.
To reserve your room please call the hotel directly at 800-640-9777 and tell them you are with "ALIEN15". These rooms will be offered until sold out. After this date the rates will only be honored if availability still exists.
Of course you can chose to stay closer to the race in the town of Rachel at the Little A'le'Inn. Go directly to their website www.aleinn.com for rates and details. The Little A'le'Inn is 20 miles from the Black Mailbox (Start/ Finish of the race). Participants must make their own way to the start/ finish line. The Little A'le'Inn has very few rooms! Book yours early to not be disappointed. They do also have RV and possibly camping options. Contact them directly for information.
Camping is available in the Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge, roughly 5 miles south of the town of Alamo off Highway 93, and thus about 35 miles to the start line. Camping is on a first come first served basis and there are approximately 20 sites available. Campfires and cook fires must be confined to fire rings or grills and must never be left unattended. Fires must be fully extinguished upon departure. Campsites are basic. I do not believe showers are available, and no swimming in the lake is permitted. RV hook up sites are NOT available.
**Please note there is NO CAMPING OR OVERNIGHT PARKING at the Black Mailbox (race start/ finish). This area is fully needed for event set up. Any cars in this area as of Saturday afternoon will be asked to move.
Back to Top
ALL race distances start/ finish at the Black Mailbox. This is Extraterrestrial Highway (375) milepost ~30.
From Las Vegas to the start line:
I-15 North to 93 North/ West, exit 64. Along 93 pass the towns of Alamo and Ash Springs. Go LEFT on Highway 318 and veer LEFT onto Highway 375 (the Extraterrestrial Highway) heading West/ North. On Highway 375 continue ~20 miles to the Black Mailbox. Approx. 2.25 hours drive.
*There is no gas along the Extraterrestrial Highway! Get gas in Alamo or Ash Springs!*
- As a courtesy, the below Google Map link TO THE BLACK MAILBOX is provided for those who choose to follow GPS. Please note this is a courtesy only, and we accept no responsibility for you not arriving at the proper location. Following the clear and easy written directions above will get you to the race.
Back to Top
Las Vegas pick up will be from the Silver Sevens Casino; 4100 Paradise Road, Las Vegas, NV 89169. We will load on the south side of the surface parking lot (click for map).
5:15am: Buses load at the Silver Sevens Casino; 4100 Paradise Road, Las Vegas, NV 89169, on the south side of the parking lot (click for map) for those who have reserved a bus seat. Bus departure time is 5:30am. Parking for the bus is at the Silver Sevens Hotel and Casino (4100 Paradise Rd, Las Vegas, NV 89169) regardless of overnight stay. You may use the surface parking or parking garage. POST RACE: Buses will DROP OFF at Silver Sevens.
Buses will return from the finish line as a full bus of runners is ready following the event. I am roughly estimating 3-4 buses for Alien Escape 2020, but being a first and unique year, it is TBD. I roughly anticipate returns at 11:45am, 1pm, 3pm and 4:35pm.
You can reserve your bus ticket online when you register online for your race distance.
Back to Top
Race morning is cold! There is no shelter or warmth at the start/ finish line so come prepared. Expect temps in the 30s while you wait for your race start. The day will warm up perfect for running, likely in the 50s. I recommend disposable layers to discard at the aid stations ONLY. Items disposed of on course at the aid stations will be donated- please do not plan on getting those items back.
GEAR BAG TARP
To reduced gear bag contacts/ commingling, you are encouraged to keep your gear bag in your car. For those on the contracted bus, or runners driving themselves, there will be a tarp laid out at the start/ finish line for you to leave your gear bags. Please use your own bag and label it with your name. Please note these are not checked nor guarded, so no valuables please. Please also remember to retrieve your bags after the race, as bags will not be mailed after the event.
Back to Top