Red Rock Canyon - January 21, 2023
Helpful LinksREGISTER ONLINE
|5K||1/2 Marathon||Marathon||Optional Strip/ Host Hotel Bus|
Thru Jun 30
Jul 1-Dec 18
Dec 19-Jan 19 @ 12 p.m.
**ALL race distances include technical shirt, finishers' medal, post race food, overall/ age group award eligibility, onsite EMS, aid stations, and a fun time!
Back to Top
Majestically framing the west side of the valley, Red Rock Canyon is the most notable natural treasure in the Las Vegas area. Federally designated as a Backcountry Scenic Byway, the 13 mile paved scenic drive traverses some of the Mojave Desert's most stunning vistas. Sandstone formations, desert vegetation, and wildlife bring this place to life. The birthplace of Calico Racing! The trailheads "Calico Hills" inspired the namesake and dictated the company logo colors.
MARATHON COURSE- 6:45am start time:
The Marathon course starts at the EXIT of the paved scenic drive at roughly 3800' elevation. Runners will run against traffic making a left hand turn down a short out and back section on Oak Creek dirt road (total 0.7 mile). Rejoining the scenic drive just after mile 1, runners will continue running against traffic and gradually climbing to the summit overlook at 4771' by mile 8.6. Descending off the overlook you'll cruise the next 4 mile downhill, run up to the Visitors Center (elevation 3740'), make one complete loop around the Visitors' Center the rejoin the scenic drive. Now running with traffic you'll put in some work as you climb back up to the summit overlook at mile 18.4. The course continues over downhill, flat and rolling terrain where you can pick up the pace to the finish line back where you started at the EXIT of the scenic drive. 7 hour cut off
1/2 MARATHON COURSE-*7:30am start*
The 1/2 Marathon course starts at the Visitors Center (elevation approx 3740 feet), roughly 2 miles from the marathon start (also your finish) at the Exit of the scenic drive. You'll run a complete loop around the Visitors Center before joining up with the paved scenic drive. You'll run with traffic climbing to the summit overlook (4771' elevation) by mile 5.3. The course continues over downhill, flat and rolling terrain where you can pick up the pace to the finish line at the EXIT of the scenic drive. 6.25 hour cut off
5K COURSE- *8:15am* The 5K course starts at the EXIT of the paved scenic drive at roughly 3800' elevation. Runners will run against traffic 1.55 miles to their turn around; retrace their steps and return to the finish line at the EXIT of the scenic drive. 5.5 hr cut off
* Since this is a race held on public lands the course is open to vehicular traffic. The course will be coned so as to allow us 1/4 of the roadway. Runners will be coming from both directions; please stay to your right, allow others to pass, and if running greater than single file it is up to you to make room for others to pass in either direction. PLEASE ask your spectators to keep their driving on course to a minimum.
** Calico Racing reserves the right to make any necessary course changes required per the permitting body and is subject to final permit approval.
Back to Top
Aid Stations will be available at the miles splits listed below. ALL aid stations will have WATER and Hammer HEED (electrolyte drink; various flavors) available in cups. Certain Aid Stations will be considered *ULTRA* aid stations and will additionally have Hammer Gel (various flavors) and Hammer Endurolytes (electrolyte pills). Toilets are available roughly every 3 miles.
5K: Miles 0.7 and 2.4
1/2 Marathon: Miles 1.1, 3.5, 5.3 (ultra), 6.8, 8.6 (ultra), 10.9, and 12.4.
Marathon: Miles 1.6, 3.1, 5.3 (ultra), 7.1, 8.6 (ultra), 10.4, 12.8 (ultra), 14.2 (ultra), 16.6, 18.4 (ultra), 19.9, 21.7 (ultra), 24, and 25.5.
Back to Top
Schedule and Packet Pickup
SCHEDULE, tentative: Slight changes may be made
Packet Pick Up:
- Friday, January 20, 2023 from 5pm- 8pm at OYO Hotel & Casino located at 115 East Tropicana Avenue; Las Vegas, NV 89109. We will be located on the second floor in the "Clearwater" banquet space.
- Yes, you may collect your packet on race morning at the start line, so no need to email me.
Saturday January 21, 2023
- 5:15am: Marathon bus departure from THE STRIP/ HOST HOTEL for those that have purchased the STRIP/ HOST HOTEL bus ticket. Pick up location: OYO Hotel & Casino located at 115 East Tropicana Avenue; Las Vegas, NV 89109. Buses will load under the covered overhang at the main entrance.
- 5:45am: Buses will begin departing the pick up area to transport runners to their start lines. Main FREE location (near I-215 and Charleston Blvd) is at WEST CAREER AND TECHNICAL ACADEMY located at 11945 W Charleston Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89135. Buses will run on a rotation. Buses load on the EAST side of the building. CLICK HERE FOR MAP.
- 5:45am: Final MARATHON START bus from main pick up point.
- 6am: Half Marathon bus departure from THE STRIP/ HOST HOTEL for those that have purchased the STRIP/ HOST HOTEL bus ticket. Pick up location: OYO Hotel & Casino located at 115 East Tropicana Avenue; Las Vegas, NV 89109. Buses will load under the covered overhang at the main entrance.
- 6am- 7am: Buses to the HALF MARATHON START from the main pick up point.
- 6:45am: Marathon start time!
- 6:45am: 5K bus departure from THE STRIP/ HOST HOTEL for those that have purchased the STRIP/ HOST HOTEL bus ticket. Pick up location: OYO Hotel & Casino located at 115 East Tropicana Avenue; Las Vegas, NV 89109. Buses will load under the covered overhang at the main entrance.
- 7am: Final HALF MARATHON START bus from main pick up point
- 7am- 7:45am: Buses to the 5K START from the main pick up point.
- 7:30am: 1/2 Marathon start time!
- 7:45am: Final 5K bus from the main pick up point
- 8:15am: 5K start time!
- 7:45am- 8:30am: Spectator Buses run from the main pick up point to the finish line only.
- 10am: Spectator bus departs MAIN FREE lot TO finish line
- 9:45am: Bus back to the STRIP/ HOST HOTEL departs the finish line. Approx.
- 10:45am: Bus back to the STRIP/ HOST HOTEL departs the finish line. Approx.
- 12pm: Bus back to the STRIP/ HOST HOTEL departs the finish line. Approx.
- 1:45pm: Course officially closes
- 1:50pm: Bus back to the STRIP/ HOST HOTEL departs the finish line. Approx.
- Buses will run continuously once full to return runners to their cars at the MAIN FREE parking.
- 1:50pm: Last bus returns to the main parking area.
** Please note that bus times after the race are approximate. It is my high priority to get you where you need to go in a timely fashion, but your cooperation is appreciated as we tend to everyone's needs.
Finish line refreshments will be available and awards will be handed out at the finish line area for registered athletes only. Spectators should note that there are no concessions at the finish line and should come prepared to be self sufficient with food, water, and warmth.
Back to Top
THERE IS NO PARTICIPANT OR SPECTATOR EVENT PARKING AT RED ROCK CANYON!!! Everyone MUST be bused from one of 2 locations: (OR Dropped off at the canyon. *See below.)
1- FREE: WEST CAREER AND TECHNICAL ACADEMY located at 11945 W Charleston Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89135. Buses will run on a rotation. Buses load on the EAST side of the building. CLICK HERE FOR MAP. This area is closest to Red Rock Canyon, near I-215 and Charleston Blvd (approximately 30 minutes drive from the Strip). Buses will run on a rotation. The one way bus ride will take ~10-15 minutes.
2- STRIP/ HOST HOTEL BUS: For those that purchased THE STRIP/ HOST HOTEL Bus Ticket. Pick up location: OYO Hotel & Casino located at 115 East Tropicana Avenue; Las Vegas, NV 89109. Buses will load under the covered overhang at the main entrance. Parking is available at OYO for bus riders regardless of overnight stay.
Your cooperation is appreciated and expected.
DROP OFF: If you are having someone drop you off for the race, or are taking a taxi or rideshare- you may have them DROP you off at the race start. This will also help alleviate the workload for the buses. See below details for your distance:
- For the Half Marathon, the start line is at the Visitors' Center for Red Rock Canyon (see directions below); thru it through the fee gate. You can be dropped at the gate and walk thru up to the Visitors' Center (about 0.5 mile). *You must show your (documentation to be confirmed for 2023) race confirmation email OR pay the pedestrian park toll entry fee of $5 to gain entry into the park on foot. NOTE: These specifics MAY CHANGE closer to race day, as determined by the permitting agency.
- Marathon & 5K, can be dropped off at your start line, which is at the exit of the scenic loop. Follow the directions below, but continue past the entrance about 2 miles along Highway 159. You will see a dirt lot at the exit of the loop- this is your starting area.
Back to Top
AIRPORT AND CAR RENTAL
Las Vegas' Harry Reid International Airport (LAS) serves the Las Vegas Valley. Numerous air carriers and rental car companies service this airport. This airport is located within 10 minutes of "The Strip", and ~30 minutes to Red Rock Canyon.
Back to Top
Spectators are an important part of any race- they give you that boost of energy when you need it most, encourage you when you're feeling low, and can pep you up to fly into the finish line! Calico Racing wants you and your spectators to have a fun and safe experience, while minimizing the congestion for casual park users. I ask that you PLEASE have your spectators adhere to these offered services, as this is CRUCIAL in determining the renewal of my permit for next year.
THERE IS NO RACE SPECTATOR PARKING AT RED ROCK CANYON!
Bus transportation is available for spectators, as provided for the runners. Runners and spectators all catch the bus at the same location. Main FREE location can be found HERE. OR available from THE STRIP/ HOST HOTEL- SEE BELOW). Buses will run on a rotation to get everyone to their start lines.
Bus transportation FROM THE STRIP/ HOST HOTEL is available for runners and spectators for $30 rt/pp. Pick up location is at OYO Hotel & Casino located at 115 East Tropicana Avenue; Las Vegas, NV 89109. Buses will load under the covered overhang at the main entrance. Race morning bus DEPARTS at 5:15am for marathoners and their spectators; 6am for 1/2 marathoners and their spectators; and 6:45am for 5K Runners and their spectators. Post race STRIP/ HOST HOTEL return to the same location is at APPROX 9:45am, 10:45am, 12pm, & 1:55pm. Slight changes may be made to these times.
When loading the buses on race morning, marathoners (6:45am start), then 1/2 marathoners (7:30am start), then 5K runners (8:15am start), then spectators will have priority when boarding the buses. Please have your spectators be respectful of your fellow runners when boarding the buses and use of port-a-potties. NO spectators will be transported TO the race from the main pick up area until all runners have been transported, after 7:45am.
You may have your spectator drop you off at your start line, then have them proceed to the busing area. This will alleviate demand on the buses and ensure smooth sailing on race day. NOTE that ANY entry by car through the Red Rock toll plaza is subject to the full park fee.
I ask that spectators allow ALL runners be transported first for an on time race. I anticipate all runners having been transported to their start lines by 7:45am, at which time spectators will start boarding the bus.
**Please, no spectators to the 1/2 Marathon start line**
**Schedule is tentative for 2023, please check back as the race gets closer **
7:45am- 8:30am** Spectator Buses from the main FREE lot to the finish line.
**8:30am- 10am: NO BUSES Running Spectators
**10am** Final Spectator Bus from the main free lot to the finish line.
As with runners, spectators will be bused back to their cars after the race. Buses will run on a rotation when demand dictates.
*Also note* There are no concessions at the park, and race provided food and beverages are for registered athletes only. Spectators should come prepared to be self sufficient with food and water.
PLEASE NOTE: This service is FREE to spectators. Calico Racing is paying for their entry into the fee area park. YES- this means it is very important that you please make use of this service. The only way I will knowingly give the go ahead for a spectator to drive their own vehicle is if they are willing to volunteer for a portion of the race. Contact me at email@example.com for details. Thank you for your cooperation!
Back to Top
* All finishers get medals. ** Awards will be something inspired by nature and/or the surrounding area and the theme of the race.
Overall Male and Female winners for each event (Marathon, 1/2, and 5K) go 3 deep. Overall winners will be taken out of the running for age group awards.
Age group Male and Female winners for each event (Marathon and 1/2) goes 1 deep. 10 year age groups as follows: under 20; 20-29; 30-39; 40-49; 50-59; 60-69; 70+
Age group (5K) Male and Female winners goes 1 deep. Age groups as follows: 0-9; 10-14; 15-19; 20-29; 30-39; 40-49; 50-59; 60-69; 70+
NOTE: Overall and Age Group awards are determined based off of GUN TIME.
NOTE: Awards will be handed out at the finish line very shortly after runners start finishing, and will continue as award winners come in. Please listen for your name to be called if you think you may have placed. Awards not collected on site will be subject to a shipping charge if they are requested to be mailed (USA only) no later than 1 week after the race. Payment of $10 per award is to be made via Paypal account: firstname.lastname@example.org with your shipping address and award in the memo. *Please read the above award categories to ensure you are eligible for an award*
Back to Top
Red Rock Race Future Anticipated Dates
- January 20, 2024
- January 25, 2025
- January 24, 2026
- January 23, 2027
- January 22, 2028
**Please note that beginning November 3, 2020, the Bureau of Land Management requires reservations for entry to the Scenic Drive between 8am and 5pm though May 31, 2021. Timed Entry reservations are available online, along with entry passes, and visitors with annual passes can enter their pass number at checkout. **Registered Participants do NOT need to worry about this for race day; but if you plan to drive the course in the days before you will need to make a reservation via THIS LINK.
Back to Top
Calico Racing has chosen OYO Hotel and Casino to be the official host hotel of the 2023 Red Rock Marathon! OYO Hotel and Casino is located just off the famed Las Vegas Strip, located at 115 East Tropicana Avenue; Las Vegas, Nevada 89109. OYO Hotel and Casino is the location of the optional ($30 rt/pp) Strip/ Host Hotel contracted bus transportation to/ from the race; as well as Friday's packet pick up; making for easy and seamless logistics.
We have negotiated group rates of $99 per night (Fri 1/20; and Sat 1/21); $55 per night (Wed 1/18 and Thurs 1/19); and $45 per night Sun 1/22; and Mon 1/23) ; single/ double occupancy plus applicable taxes and mandatory resort fee of $25 per night (discounted for our group). Book by January 1, 2023.
Or call (702) 739-9000 and reference group MARATHON.
Hotels closest to Red Rock Canyon:
- Red Rock Casino Resort Spa; 1.1 miles
- Suncoast Hotel and Casino; 3.6 miles
- JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort and Spa; 3.6 miles
- Hampton Inn and Suites Las Vegas Red Rock/ Summerlin; 4.25 miles
Camping is available in a designated camp ground near Red Rock Canyon, roughly 2 miles from the Red Rock Canyon Scenic Drive entrance. Please visit their website for complete information: HERE
Back to Top
Red Rock Canyon is roughly 30 minutes from downtown and "the strip" and within 10- 45 minutes of most residential areas of the valley.
Directions to the MAIN FREE bus pick up/ drop off area:
FREE: WEST CAREER AND TECHNICAL ACADEMY located at 11945 W Charleston Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89135. Buses will run on a rotation. Buses load on the EAST side of the building. CLICK HERE FOR MAP. This area is closest to Red Rock Canyon, near I-215 and Charleston Blvd. (approximately 30 minutes drive from the Strip). Buses will run on a rotation. The one way bus ride will take ~10-15 minutes.
Directions to THE STRIP/ HOST HOTEL pick up/ drop off area: ONLY those runners and spectators who have purchased the STRIP/ HOST HOTEL bus ticket will use this location! This pick up location is at OYO Hotel & Casino located at 115 East Tropicana Avenue; Las Vegas, NV 89109. Buses will load under the covered overhang at the main entrance.
Back to Top
The STRIP/ HOST HOTEL Bus Option" For those preferring to stay on or near The Las Vegas STRIP, contracted bus service is available! The cost is $30 round trip per person. You may also purchase SPECTATOR bus tickets for the same price. There are no "tickets"- but the driver will have a list of names of those who've paid for this service. The contracted Strip/ Host Hotel Bus makes for an extremely seamless race experience- we take care of the logistics for you!
The pick up location is at OYO Hotel & Casino located at 115 East Tropicana Avenue; Las Vegas, NV 89109. Buses will load under the covered overhang at the main entrance. . The one way trip takes about 30-45 minutes via bus depending on traffic.
*You may purchase bus tickets to use this service no matter if you are staying at the host hotel or another nearby Strip hotel.
DEPARTURES from the Strip TO the race start: 5:15am (Marathoners and their spectators) and 6am (1/2 Marathoners and their spectators) and 6:45am (5K and their spectators)
RETURN DEPARTURES back to the Strip/ Host Hotel from the finish line: 9:45am, 10:45am; 12pm, and 1:55pm APPROX.
**This information is subject to slight changes, so please check back as the race gets closer *** If you would like to purchase a bus ticket, you can do so when you register online, or you can select that option on your mail in entry form.
Back to Top
Race morning is cold! Expect temps in the 40s while you wait for your race start. The day will warm up perfect for running, likely in the 60s. I recommend disposable layers to discard at the aid stations ONLY. Items disposed of on course at the aid stations will be donated- please do not plan on getting those items back. You may have a warm clothes bag. Please use your own bag and label it clearly with your name. Be sure to collect your bag after the race, as NO bags left behind will be mailed, and will be immediately donated.
1/2 marathoners: you will leave your bag at your start line (directly on a specific bus) and they will be transported to the finish for you. Bags are not checked or guarded, so no valuables please! At the marathon/5K start & ALL races finish- bags will be laid out on a tarp for your collection. Tarps will have some sort of order to them to ease in your finding them, TBD. This will be clear race morning- likely by alphabet.
Back to Top
Please CLICK HERE to review the Desert Tortoise Information. We are no longer required to have athletes sign the previous Desert Tortoise Waiver, but you will be required to abide by this information during the race. Your cooperation is appreciated and expected.
Back to Top